Young People Swear Against Gun Violence

Monday, October 18, 2004

From The Times and Democrat:

A partnership between the U.S. Attorney's Office-District of South Carolina, the Santee Police Department and students at Elloree Elementary, Elloree Middle and Lake Marion High School-Elloree Campus will be formalized on Oct. 20, in observance of the ninth annual Day of National Concern About Young People and Gun Violence.

The Student Pledge Against Gun Violence, which will be signed by the students, reads:

* I will never bring a gun to school.

* I will never use a gun to settle a dispute.

* I will use my influence with my friends to keep them from using guns to settle disputes.

* My individual choices and actions, when multiplied by those of young people throughout the country, will make a difference.

* Together, by honoring this pledge, we can reverse the violence and grow up in safety.

Last year, a total of 191,794 South Carolina students signed the pledge. Nationwide in 2002, more than three million pledges were signed, which was the largest number ever.
I only take minor reservation with the line I will never use a gun to settle a dispute. If that dispute happens to be a struggle over your life when a burglar attempts to break into your home at 2 AM and you are trained with daddy's shotgun or other device...then - well, by all means.

0 comments: