October's Last Weekend

Monday, November 01, 2004

Again I apologize for the lack of updates over the past few days and will use this space to recap a weekend that was both good and bad.

The Good:

On Friday a small group of friends and I attended a most-righteous Sister Hazel concert at Floyd's Music Store for the third straight, and for the third straight year I was blown away by one of my favorite live bands. Sister Hazel has a way of becoming intimate with the fans by brining them into the show. It's something you can always expect from these guys, unlike so many other performers, and is why I never miss a show when they're in town.

On Saturday we hosted what was for the most part a largely successful Halloween party -- save for the fake blood stains on the carpet and bathroom walls, a couple beer spills, unnecessary fights and the expected trashing of the kitchen and living room areas. Naturally, I dressed up as Hugh Hefner and took the role of making sure everyone was having a good time. I have yet to hear any complaints from any of the guests.

The Bad:

On Saturday the Seminoles were bested by unranked Maryland; effectively ending our chances at a national title this year. In addition, the quarterback controversy has once again debouched as Chris Rix almost took us to victory with his deep threat. Alas, too little too late was the case thanks to the inept Wyatt Sexton who has been our starter since replacing Rix earlier in the season. Fortunately the agony of defeat was blanketed somewhat by our Halloween party and I won't have to worry about Seminole Football until next Saturday.

On Sunday we saw "Saw" (review coming) and as expected I was less than satisfied. It was neither better nor worse than last week's "The Grudge" but the trailers beforehand dictate that the end of this year and the beginning of 2005 will bring us a large quantity of horror movies. If I enjoy one out of five considering the genre I can say it's worth it.

0 comments: