Who's a Singer Now?

Thursday, October 21, 2004

While flipping through the channels earlier today I caught teen-star Lindsay Lohan's new music video on MTV. Lohan, the popular young actress from marketable PG films such as Freaky Friday is now working on her music career. To be fair, I only caught the last minute of the video but the pumped up synthesized beats were hardly impressive and didn't warrant a second listen.

This is indeed a sad trend, watching every pretty face go from silver screen to silver microphone. It's only fitting that I point out this quote from Avril Lavigne printed in the Irish Examiner:

"The music scene is at a weird spot right now, where it kind of seems like anybody can be a star.

"I think it's really sad and stupid, that people who have certain hookups, who are already rich and famous, can just go, 'I want a music career,' and get one.

"I'm not saying names, but there are people out there who can't even sing, popular artists who have other people singing on their records. It's lame, and it's not supposed to be that way.

"I always think it would be so much easier if I didn't have to write my own music. If I could just go through a bunch of songs that my record company thinks are hits, it would take me like a week! But it's important for me to be a part of it - I have things that I want to talk about."
I can name more than a handful of pretty blondes with not-so-pretty voices that fit this description.

0 comments: