From the Public School Chronicles

Monday, May 15, 2006

How did this tool not expect a parent to find out and complain about this:

A high school teacher has apologized for asking students to write about who they would kill and how they would do it, and officials said he will likely keep his job.

Michael Maxwell, who teaches industrial technology at Central High School, said his request that students in his beginning drafting class describe how they would carry out a murder was merely a writing prompt. It was not clear why he asked the drafting class to write fiction.

"I made a horrible mistake that I regret," Maxwell said. "I want to apologize to my students, my colleagues and to the community."
This would be no different from a teacher who asked his students to write about who they would brutally rape and how they would go about doing it. To say the teacher made a "horrible mistake" doesn't begin to describe it.

Look, I'm all for creative teaching methods, but sometimes you've just got to teach the damn curriculum and leave it at that.

0 comments: