The Eternal Justice

Thursday, July 14, 2005

"I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

This, from the guy who was just released from the hospital suffering from a "fever," says he will continue to serve as chief justice on the highest court in the country until he croaks.

Rehnquist, who has been on the court for an amazing 33 years is battling thyroid cancer and has a trachea tube to him breathe and a cane to help him walk.

With all due respect to the Great Chief, it's getting kind of ridiculous. Perhaps I'm just anxious, but President Bush is now facing three confirmations: O'Connor's replacement, Rehnquist's replacement, and the chief justice spot.

Considering the current speed of the embattled Senate all three confirmations might not take place before the Court resumes work next session.

Let's hope before October we'll know the newest two justices of Scalia's Court.

0 comments: