Simpson's Second Chance

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Those of us with an unhealthy familiarity with pop culture remember Ashlee Simpson's performance debacle last year on Saturday Night Live. Tonight the inept singer got a second chance to humiliate herself, and she took full advantage of it.

After being introduced by Napoleon Dynamite (Jon Heder) the 21-year-old "singer" told sympathetic audience the song she "wrote" was about her last appearance on SNL when a humiliating glitch revealed a vocal track that was doing all the singing.

The song, a lumbering number suspiciously similar to a popular Jewl ballad, highlights Simpson's inability to carry a note longer than three seconds. Her range is desperately short as whenever she tries to reach for a higher octave her voice cracks. The lyrics are just awful; something to the effect of "Who will catch me when I fall..."

I can't recall all every line, probably because it was so painful to endure. But I felt like I had to comment on it because I did last year and I need to get President Bush's lousy pick of Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court out of my head.

0 comments: